Saturday 31 March 2012

How Touching Saves Lives

When I was a fourth-year medical student, I once did a month-long rotation in the ER. One night a woman came in who we decided needed some lab work. When I let her know we needed to draw her blood, she began to tremble visibly. "I'm scared of needles," she whispered to me.She squeezed her eyes shut as the phlebotomist set up next to her gurney to draw her blood. "It'll be over before you know it," I tried to encourage her. She didn't even acknowledge I'd spoken.The phlebotomist glanced at me once, concerned probably more that the patient was going to jump or prove to be a hard stick, and then said to her, "You're going to feel a little poke."The patient tensed, tears appearing at the corners of her closed eyes. Not knowing what else to do, I reached out and took her hand, feeling awkward a...

phlebotomy training in va phlebotomy certification in nj phlebotomy training in rockford il

No comments:

Post a Comment